Enamul Hafiz Latifee writes,
The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is the regional intergovernmental organization and geopolitical union of states in South Asia. Its member states are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. The SAARC region comprises of over 21% of the world’s population which remains exposed towards COVID-19.
This report intends to find out the mortality rates and recovery rates caused by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic at the SAARC region as on 09 May 2020.
- The SAARC Member States have reported 106,176 positive cases, a total of 2,930 deaths in the region, 28,797 recovered cases, and 74,449 active cases as on 09 May 2020.
- COVID-19 Mortality Rates of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, are 2.95%, 1.55%, 0.00%, 3.32%, 0.40%, 0.00%, 2.25%, and 1.06% respectively on 09 May 2020.
- The SAARC Average COVID-19 Mortality Rate is 2.76 on the date.
- COVID-19 Recovery Rates of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, are 13.13%, 17.53%, 71.43%, 29.91%, 2.69%, 25.69%, 28.23%, and 30.70% respectively on 09 May 2020.
- The SAARC Average Recovery Rate is 27.12 on the date.
Data Source (in order of countries):
- WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean (as reported on 01:00 PM, 09 May 2020)
- Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research, Govt. of Bangladesh (as on 09 May 2020)
- Ministry of Health, Royal Govt. of Bhutan (as on 09 May 2020)
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India (as on 09 May 2020 at 08:00 AM)
- Ministry of Health, Republic of Maldives (as on 09 May 2020, 11:46 PM)
- Ministry of Home Affairs, NDRRMA, Govt. of Nepal (09 May 2020, 07:06 PM)
- COVID19 Portal, Govt. of Pakistan (09 May 2020, 08:21 AM)
- Epidemiology Unit, Ministry of Health, Govt. of Sri Lanka (09 May 2020, 07:30 PM)
Read the full report here.