Enamul Hafiz Latifee writes,
The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is the regional intergovernmental organization and geopolitical union of states in South Asia. Its member states are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. The SAARC region comprises of over 21% of the world’s population which remains exposed towards COVID-19.
- The SAARC Member States have reported 83,741 positive cases, a total of 2,357 deaths in the region, and 21,017 recovered cases as on 05 May 2020.
- COVID-19 Mortality Rates of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, are 2.95%, 1.67%, 0.00%, 3.39%, 0.18%, 0.00%, 2.26%, and 1.18% respectively on 05 May 2020.
- The SAARC Average COVID-19 Mortality Rate is 2.81 on the date.
- COVID-19 Recovery Rates of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, are 13.06%, 12.84%, 71.43%, 28.17%, 3.05%, 19.51%, 26.93%, and 27.95% respectively on 05 May 2020.
- The SAARC Average Recovery Rate is 25.10 on the date.
Data Source (in order of countries):
- WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean (as reported on 09:00 AM, 05 May 2020)
- Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research, Govt. of Bangladesh (as on 05 May 2020)
- Ministry of Health, Royal Govt. of Bhutan (as on 05 May 2020)
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India (as on 05 May 2020 at 05:00 PM)
- Ministry of Health, Republic of Maldives (as on 05 May 2020, 1:00 PM)
- Ministry of Health & Population, Govt. of Nepal (05 May 2020, 4:12 AM)
- COVID19 Portal, Govt. of Pakistan (05 May 2020, 08:06 AM)
- Epidemiology Unit, Ministry of Health, Govt. of Sri Lanka (05 May 2020, 08:15 PM)
Yesterday, on 04 May 2020, India’s COVID-19 Mortality is 3.24% which is higher than the SAARC Average 2.75% and Bhutan’s COVID-19 Recovery Rate is the highest in the SAARC region, taking it to 71.43%.