Enamul Hafiz Latifee writes,
The South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) is the regional intergovernmental organization and geopolitical union of states in South Asia. Its member states are Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
This report intends to find out the mortality rates and recovery rates caused by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic at the SAARC region on a daily basis.
- The SAARC Member States have reported 56,966 positive cases, a total of 1,573 deaths in the region, and 11,781 recovered cases.
- COVID-19 Mortality Rates of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, are 3.28%, 2.29%, 0.00%, 3.17%, 0.00%, 0.00%, 2.19%, and 1.11%, on 29 April 2020.
- The SAARC Average COVID-19 Mortality Rate is 2.76 on the date.
- COVID-19 Recovery Rates of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, are 12.92%, 2.11%, 71.43%, 24.53%, 6.32%, 28.07%, 22.41%, and 21.59% on 29 April 2020.
- The SAARC Average Recovery Rate is 20.68 on the date.
It is seen from Figure-1 below, that Afghanistan’s COVID-19 Mortality is 3.28% on 29 April 2020 which is higher than the SAARC Average 2.76%.
It has been also observed that Bhutan tops at the COVID-19 Recovery Rate in the SAARC region, taking it to 71.43% on 29 April 2020 (Figure-2).
Data Source (in order of countries):
- WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean (as reported on 01:00 PM, 29 April 2020),
- Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research, Govt. of Bangladesh (as on 29 April 2020)
- Ministry of Health, Royal Govt. of Bhutan (as on 29 April 2020)
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India (as on 29 April 2020 at 05:00 PM)
- Ministry of Health, Republic of Maldives (as on 29 April 2020, 5:40 PM)
- Ministry of Health & Population, Govt. of Nepal (29 April 2020, 4:12 PM)
- COVID19 Portal, Govt. of Pakistan (29 April 2020, 05:02 PM)
- Epidemiology Unit, Ministry of Health, Govt. of Sri Lanka (29 April 2020, 08:00 PM)
The entire report can be downloaded from here, Daily Analysis Report of SAARC COVID-19 Mortality and Recovery Rates on 29 April 2020.